Monday, October 21, 2019

laughing with Dad


Today was special, in that we stayed home, and my husband was with us.  We had an inspector coming out, and Todd was here waiting for him.  We enjoyed our lunch together!  On this day, I made grilled cheese sandwiches and roasted red pepper and tomato soup.  Last week I made us pinto beans and cornbread, then sent the rest home for him and Sandy to enjoy. 

I love when we're talking, and Dad starts telling a story, and we get to laughing so hard that he almost can't talk.  He told the story on this day, of when he bought a cow...a sick cow, because it was cheaper.  He and Paul (my brother) had to give this cow a shot, and the cow started kicking Dad hard in the chest, so he gave the shot to Paul to try.  He missed, they ended up in a pond, and Dad accidentally gave the shot to Paul instead!  We were crying, we were laughing so hard. 

I have so many memories like this, and it doesn't matter if I've heard the same story a thousand times, it gets funnier with each telling.  I am so thankful that we have this kind of relationship, and Dad and I have definitely made some memories over the years.  The boys were all taught how to drive by him, because he started them on tractors when they were about nine years old.  He slowly moved them up to driving his truck on the land around his house, and he would never mind them driving him on an actual road.  Dad helped me raise these sons of mine, and I love that all of their childhoods are wrapped in memories of him in them. 

If you've read my other blog, you know quality time is my top love language, and this is the reason  our Fridays make me so happy.  I consider them a gift from God, and one I don't take for granted.  I know not everyone has had this in their life, and I am sad for them.  I thank the Lord for this gift, every time I think of Dad. 

Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment